My friends and I decided to do a 14 days detox. I already eat pretty health but I still have long ways to go when it comes to cutting gluten. I cooked this soup today and I decided to share the recipe with you all. It is a slight variation of the Coconut Red Lentil Soup from the book Crazy Sexy Kitchen by lovely Kris Carr (love her!).
Lentil Soup Recipe
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 small white onion, finely diced
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 12-ounce can coconut milk
32 oz vegetable stock (you can make your own)
1.5 cups of lentils
.5 tbsp black pepper
.5 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp lemon zest
2 lemons, juiced
.5 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
1. Toast cumin and coriander seeds in a dry pot on medium-high heat for about 2 minutes. This releases the full flavor of the spices and you will smell the delicious aromas!
2. Add the coconut oil and onion and stir until the onion is golden and translucent.
3. Add the ginger, coconut milk, vegetable stock, lentils, black pepper and salt. Put on low heat, stir well, and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add carrots and allow it to cook for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. The soup is done when the lentils have melted. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, chopped cilantro and stir well.
6. Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro.